Subject: Re: Problems compiling under Linux

Re: Problems compiling under Linux

From: Paul Suade <paul.suade_at_laposte.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:43:01 +0200

Jukebox has a SH1 mcu and not a x86 cpu, so you need to run a
cross-compiler. In fact, sh-elf-gcc and counterparts are indeed an x86 gcc
compiler for SH target, so we can compile programs for SH1 under an x86
platform (Windows or Linux). To avoid to be mangled with the normal gcc
compiler (x86 host compiler for x86 target) and the cross compiler (x86 host
compiler for SH target), we choose to keep the prefix "sh-elf-" to remind
that it a cross-compiler to generate an ELF object for SH1 target.

If you replace sh-elf-gcc with gcc, your rockbox software wouldn't be
runnable under jukebox because it has no x86 cpu to run it.

PS : for cross compilation, it is a convention to prefix with :

<target object>-<target cpu>-gcc

where <target object> is either :
- elf, aout, coff, etc.

and <target cpu> :