Subject: RE: Battery life
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2002-08-02

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:14:04 +0100, Stuart Tedford wrote:
> Do you think the stock firmware sleeps the CPU? It seems to be
> doing a lot of processing - updating the display with those silly
> vu meters and scrolling etc - doesn't leave much time for sleeping.

Updating the display every 100ms and sleeping for 50ms after every
update would save a little, but not much, of course.

I made a test that shut off the power to the hard drive completely
instead of entering the Standby mode. That showed a current usage of
75mA in idle mode. I don't know, however, if the hard drive wears out
faster if we cycle the power that often...

Linus Nielsen Feltzing, on 2002-08-02