Subject: Re: Re[2]: Loadable fonts patch

Re: Re[2]: Loadable fonts patch

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:52:19 -0700

> DS> I guess that this is because I run this on a SPARC cpu which is
reversed
> DS> endian to the i386. Does it sound reasonable?

All short quantities need to be written using a function
like putw16 that swaps bytes when running on
big-endian machine.

> DS> Where can I find a bdf font that has the same size as the smallest
default
> DS> Rockbox font (6x8)? We can't have any bigger as the smallest default,
it
> DS> would be insane...!

Attached are a few free BDF fonts in 5x and 6x sizes,
try them out. (fonts.zip)

Also, I've attached convbdf, a perl script that should convert
any BDF font to a C program file. I use this for builtin fonts
in some other projects. It incorporates all the information that
we will need in a small space, including a character lookup
table, font width entries for proportional fonts, the bitmap
data, and the font width, height and descent.

I'd like to know whether this script runs on all BDF fonts
you've got for conversion. If so, it shouldn't be that
big a deal to convert the output into a binary format.
The output can also easily be used for incorporated
builtin fonts into rockbox without loadable font overhead,
and provides a working internal structure for fonts.

Regards,

Greg

  • application/octet-stream attachment: convbdf
  • application/x-zip-compressed attachment: fonts.zip