Subject: Re: Load time lags

Re: Load time lags

From: Matthias Wächter <matthias_at_waechter.wiz.at>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:27:40 +0200 (CEST)

Linus wrote:

> However, I wouldn't recommend keeping the drive spinning. It heats up the
> unit a lot, and probably wears out the drive.

IMHO, neither the heat nor drive-wear-out are a problem for the drive.

First, the drive is used to be operated in USB mode which uses the drive
100% rotating. Ever tried a chkdsk via USB?

Second, the drive is used for longer usage-periods in other applications
(Notebooks). Furthermore, keeping the drive powered up for longer times
instead of a 2-minute-spindown-spinup rhythm may spare the heads (not the
batteries though).

> We plan to make the hard drive timeout configurable, so we may even have two
> parameters, one for batteries an one for external.

I think that'll be the best. And, let's see what's the impact on the drive
for 100% spin time when we have that option.

BTW: Hi, I'm new here. I own a AJP6 since last December and will try
Rockbox tomorrow.

Yours,
- Matthias

--
                    "To get control over people, make them trust you.
                                            To make people trust you