Subject: Re: Re: Load time lags
From: Robert Tweed (
Date: 2002-08-08

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Tedford" <>

> > Matthias Wächter wrote:
> > > IMHO, neither the heat nor drive-wear-out are a problem for
> > the drive.
> >
> > Björn wrote:
> > I agree. We'll add options for disk spindown after 1.2.
> >
> I disagree. Why else would they have "Extended availability"
> laptop/desktop drives - drives that are especially designed to be run
> continuously.

You'd still have to run a normal drive for a really long time for it to wear
out. Heat certainly shouldn't be an issue, as long as the unit is kept well
ventilated. Wear is simply a fact of life, but you are talking months of
continuous running before any damage is likely to occur. If it's an option
that is off by default, I don't see why it shouldn't be there for people who
need the near-instant response time.

There could possibly be a warning message that pops up before the option
becomes enabled or something like that. Just something so that people
realise they can't run it like that in a confined or hot space that might
otherwise be OK for normal spindown cycles. The warning should probably
recommend that the unit not be left running for more than, say, 6 hours at a
time in that mode (maybe even give an automatic timeout option too).

- Robert