Subject: Re[2]: Load time lags
From: Uwe Freese (mail_at_uwe-freese.de)
Date: 2002-08-08

Hello Nielsen,

Nielsen Linus (ext) wrote on Thursday, August 8, 2002, 4:36:10 PM:

>> I don't know if this is even possible, but have you guys thought about
>> keeping the drive spun up all the time if the jukebox is on external
>> power (or a disable power management setting is on) so there
>> are no lags when changing folders, loading next track, etc?

NLe> We plan to make the hard drive timeout configurable, so we may even have two
NLe> parameters, one for batteries an one for external.

NLe> However, I wouldn't recommend keeping the drive spinning. It heats up the
NLe> unit a lot, and probably wears out the drive.

Keeping the disk spinned up all the time is not a good idea, I agree.
But preventing the frequently spinning up and down when browsing the
directoy is. (sorry if I get on your nerves with that wish ;-) )

There should be these options:

  - always spin down quickly (as it is now)
  - spin down quickly while playing (after filling the buffer), but remain
    hdd spinned up xx secs after user activity (key press)
( - keep drive spinned up all the time (maybe not a good option) )

Bye, Uwe.