Subject: Re[3]: Load time lags

Re[3]: Load time lags

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:27:47 +0200

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:52:28 +0200, Uwe Freese wrote:
> Keeping the disk spinned up all the time is not a good idea, I
> agree.
> But preventing the frequently spinning up and down when
> browsing the directoy is. (sorry if I get on your nerves with that
> wish ;-) )

Hehe. My nerves are strong, don't worry. :-)

> There should be these options:
>
> - always spin down quickly (as it is now)
> - spin down quickly while playing (after filling the buffer),
> but remain hdd spinned up xx secs after user activity (key press)
> ( - keep drive spinned up all the time (maybe not a good option) )

I was thinking like this:

Have two timer settings, one for battery usage, and one for external
power usage.
When on external power, the spindown timer is treated the same,
regardless of MP3 playback or user activity. It spins down after X
seconds of inactivity.
When on batteries, the HD spins down after X seconds inactivity after
user interaction. However, if the disk spins up due to MP3 data

The setting parameters would be "always on"..1..2..3..4..5..6.. and
so on.

How about that?

/Linus

--
Linus Nielsen Feltzing, linus_at_haxx.se on 2002-08-08