Subject: Re[8]: Load time lags

Re[8]: Load time lags

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:03:04 +0200

Hello,

Nielsen Linus (ext) wrote on Monday, August 12, 2002, 8:04:59 AM:

>> NLe> Not if you set the timeout to 60 seconds.
>>
>> ..that means the HDD is always spinned up. And that was my third mode.

NLe> My point is that you don't need a third mode if you set the timeout long
NLe> enough.

NLe> If we use two timeout settings, one for battery operation and one for
NLe> charger operations, we don't need names or modes. If we only have two named

Arg. I see you don't get the point. I want that the disk spins down
directly after reading for filling the buffer. On the other hand I
want that the HDD keeps to be spinned up for 30 s after user activity
(key press).

How should that work with ONE value for "ext. power available" and ONE
value "battery mode, no ext. power"?

In my opinion the time before spinning down should depend on if
there's user activity or not.

Bye, Uwe.