Subject: Re: max 200 entries in a dir. why?
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-08-12

John Wood wrote:
> Why do we have to load the entire folder at once? Can't we just load one
> page at a time?

The primary reason that idea has been thrown out is that it makes sorting impossible. FAT32 directories do not store filnames in any particular order, so "Song1.mp3" can be on the first page while "Song2.mp3" is on the last. And I just know you'd hate that. :-)

We have a fix pending that will changed the number limit to a size limit. That is, in dirs with short filenames we'll support a higher number of files than in dirs with long filenames.

The purpose of this fix, however, is to *decrease* the amount of memory used for the file list. So for dirs with many very long filenames, we may well end up supporting less than 200 files.

--
Björn