Subject: RE: max 200 entries in a dir. why?
From: John Wood (John.Wood_at_royalblue.com)
Date: 2002-08-12

Well you could sort the directory the first time you enter it (store the
whole thing in RAM, sort it, retain the indices and then discard the folder
names), and then one page becomes 200 contiguous entries in that sorted
list. You're still not storing much more than a page (just the sorted
directory offset list), you maintain the same speed as you would with the
200 limit.

But then again I'm not that familiar with the dir.c code so I could be
talking crap..