Subject: Re: max 200 entries in a dir. why?
From: Robert Tweed (
Date: 2002-08-13

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Devos" <>
> Why not buffer the first 200 entries of the directory into RAM, then (when
> the user scrolls beyond the 200th entry) access the drive
> and read the next 200 entries into the buffer? Didn't anyone think of
> this before, or is it impossible?

If you do it that way, AFAIK, it should be a very simple modification. The
problem is purely with directory sorting, as was pointed out earlier. Still,
I'd personally say it's better to list all the files in the wrong order than
to just list the first 200, since the order will still be wrong like that

- Robert