Subject: Old LCD in new player?
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2002-08-13

I got a very interesting message:

Interesting occurrence: I have a 6000 player with 5.06 ROM firmware
(which I also installed version 5.07a from Archos) so I downloaded the
Rockbox 1.2 mod file under the heading of "player" which says "This version
is for Archos Jukebox 5000, 6000 with ROM firmware 4.50 or later..."
After I installed it on my AJB (and renamed it appropriately), the AJB would
not boot up. So out of curiosity, I downloaded the file under the heading of
"player-old" which says "This version is for old Archos Jukebox 6000 models
with ROM firmware older than 4.50". I placed this mod file onto my AJB and
it works flawlessly. Does this make sense? BTW, the same thing happened to
me with your version 1.1

It would appear his version 5.06 player uses the old LCD controller! His unit was manufactured 0147, a suspiciously old unit for that high a ROM version.

Has anyone else seen this? The manufacture date is found in the first four digits of your serial number.