Subject: Re: Beautiful devices ...
From: Rob Ward (
Date: 2002-08-15

Thanks. It seems to have a Motorola DSP on-board - perhaps rather than a dedicated (and exclusive) MP3 chip. This could mean .ogg is implementable.

Björn Stenberg wrote:

Rob Ward wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge of this device ...
I note this paragraph from their FAQ ... Looks like it could do .ogg format

That is the Personal Jukebox, one of the first (if not *the* first) mp3 players to use a 2.5" harddrive instead of flash memory. It saw life as a research project at Compaq in 1998. (

As far as I know (and could find out with some quick googling), it still only supports MP3.