Subject: charging algorithm dynamic max. duration

charging algorithm dynamic max. duration

From: Uwe Freese <mail_at_uwe-freese.de>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:34:02 +0200

Hello Heikki,

And another idea (sorry, but I think the time will come I run "out of
ideas" in the near future ;) ):

Instead of using the static CHARGE_MAX_TIME of 6*60 min, i suggest:

- set a value max_time when starting charging:
  max_time = CHARGE_MAX_TIME * (100-battery_level()) / 100;
- change CHARGE_MAX_TIME to 8*60 min, because there exist 2000 mAh
  NiMh cells and I think I'll replace the standard 1500mAh cells. My
  recent charging of the 1500 mAh cells had a duration of 330 min.
- end charging, if (charged_time > max_time)

Effect:

- better max.-time-check, independant of how full the batteries are
  when starting charging
- time enough to charge 2000 mAh cells without the disadvantage that
  cells could generally charge too long (because of the new max_time)

P.S. The 'capacity behaviour tests' (see other mails) show that this
is not useful. The measured value was roughly the same the whole
charging cycle. So forget this idea.

Bye, Uwe.