Subject: Re: auto volume
From: Heikki Hannikainen (hessu_at_hes.iki.fi)
Date: 2002-08-18

  Hi,

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Mike Soultanian wrote:

> I'm really diggin' the auto volume control. It's pretty handy when
> driving in the car because my MP3 volumes levels are all over the
> place. However, is it possible to make the release time longer than 8
> seconds (30 or more?) or is this hardcoded in the proccessor?

  AV is a feature on the MP3 codec DSP used on the Recorders, which we can
not currently alter. It only offers selection between off, 2s, 4s and 8s,
so we cannot get a longer decay time. Probably an automated tool to
re-encode mp3's at a good average volume is the best solution for this, as
mentioned already.

  - Hessu