Subject: Re: HD Error?

Re: HD Error?

From: Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 06:57:29 +0200

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:10:38 -0700 (PDT) jheiner_at_yahoo.com (Justin Heiner)
wrote:

>Don't worry about it. Don't return it to Best Buy. If you have the Player off
>while you charge it, after a decently long amount of time, it will display HD
>Error for no apparent reason. All you have to do is hold the stop button to
>turn it off. Also, if you have the Player ON when you charge it, this doesn't
>happen. There's really no error in the HD, it just says there is :-)
>
>I freaked out the first time I saw that also.
>
>-Justin
>
>--- Josh <jet_at_nyip.net> wrote:
>> Hi. I just got the HD error for no apparent reason. Left it charging, when I
>> came back I got HD error, so luckily having bestbuy warrantee it wasnt too
>> large a problem. but my question is, do you know why this happens? if so,
>> can you fix it? I am hesitant to try this rockbox os replacement again until
>> this is definitely fixed.

I got the same behaviour after I replaced the harddisk with a
40 GB Fujitsu drive. With the original 6 GB Fujitsu drive I've
got the "Battery charged" message instead. I think the player
firmware tries to spin up the harddisk to increase the current
draw after the batteries are loaded in order to minimize the work
load of the voltage regulator with those crappy unregulated Kings
power adaptors.
My solution was to get a regulated power adaptor. I've never seen
the "HD Error" message nor "Battery Charged" since then.
It seems that not all drives are able to be spun up the way the
firmware tries to.
--
Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net>
Do NOT remove nospam from email address!