Subject: Re: stupid question
From: George Styles (
Date: 2002-08-19

I kinda asked this before, but on a similar note, is the following a daft

I am assuming that the serial line can be configured from software to be a
simple digital input, which is bi-directional. If this is the case, can we
do the following:

Usually have it set as an output, with 1 (+3.3v) on it.
Connect a capacitor across it and ground, to store some 'juice'
Use a simple push-to-make switch to ground it through a potential divider
Each (say) 1/100s we could flip the digital line to an input, and read it.
If its 0, the switch is down, if its 1, the switch is not down
Bingo! we have an input, with just a couple of passive components, and no

Can someone who has studied the schematics/ knows the SH2 processor tell me
if this is possible? i would be quite happy with a single swith, 1
press=play/pause, 2 = skip, 3 = back, like old Sony diskmans

I know we could 'mod' the unit to re-direct the remote pin to an analog
input in an internal dividor, but my warrenty sticker stays intact at least
for one year :)