Subject: Re: auto volume

Re: auto volume

From: Mat Pritchard <matthew_pritchard_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:13:18 +0100

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 01:54:23PM +0200, Uwe Freese wrote:

> MP> Errm, my reading of this is that the player needs to interpret the gain
> MP> information which is stored in the header. Simply running mp3gain on
> MP> your mp3 collection will not have the desired affect with with Rockbox
> MP> (nor Archos, Winamp, Xmms etc).
>
> That is not true!
>
> As I understand it, every MP3frame has a gain information - and every
> player must use this value.

I'm just looking here:

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~djmrob/replaygain/technical_outline.html

which I believe is the algorithm mp3gain is using.

> I tested it:
>
> - it works with Rockbox
> - it works with WinAmp (2.80)
> - it works with Win Media Player (V6)

Ahh, well, I can't argue with that :) This must be supported in the
archos hardware then?

> And what MP3Gain does is much better than re-encoding, because there's
> no loss in quality.

Without a doubt. I assume it can be removed from the header as easily
as it is added...

--
Mat
matthew_pritchard at yahoo.com