Subject: My take on roadmapping and future

My take on roadmapping and future

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:06:11 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Benoit Midy wrote:

> Now I only use the RockBox, except for the recording I must to switch to
> the Archos firmware using RoLo (another amazing feature ! would be commit
> to the CVS ?)

I know Randy Wood works on that. It seems there is still some problems left
to load and run Archos-firmwares on the Recorder.

I'm sure he could use a hand in that area in case anyone feels like getting
their hands dirty.

> I think the 1.3 release will be release in a few time ? What are the next
> Roadmap orientations ?

We try to not promise anything and not make much plans, as that just makes
people expect things that we can't ever be sure to deliver. We do this on
volountary basis only.

We've talked about the 1.3 release to be pretty much what we have in the CVS
now, feature-wise. We need to make sure some of the existing bugs are
corrected first, but then my personal opinion is that we should ship 1.3 to
the world.

As for what comes after 1.4, it is a big mystery and is mostly up to all the
hard-working programmers and what they feel like writing and doing. My
personal hope for 1.4 is that we get the fat file writing code added
(upcoming braveness required when that code is committed for testing).

Another thing we've talked about to do after the 1.3 release is a serious
code cleanup and audit. Some areas of the code has been getting a lot of
patches and wild hammering by lots of people and have already gotten quite
messy. I think the short period of calmness a public release causes is a
perfect opportunity to sit down and clear up some "mess". (This is not
intended as criticism of any single person, we've all contributed to this.
Including myself of course.)

Again, please note that these are my personal opinions and I've been known to
be completely wrong more than one time in the past! ;-)

> Unjtil now all seems to have been done ! Nothing is too hard to program for
> the RockBox Staff !

Well, we are quite limited by the CPU, the ram, the hardware and things so we
might not be able to make everything possible! ;-)

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/