Subject: Multimedia (was: Re: My take on roadmapping and future)
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2002-08-21

Olivier Villin wrote:
> For the future do you intend to support the new archos jukebox multimedia ?
> Do you think it will be possible ? Or does it require a completely new
> project ?

Personally, I don't feel in a hurry to support the multimedia. MP3 playback is the main feature I want, and the extra photo and film capabilities of the multimedia seems like fun but not really something I covet strongly. Also, it's only fair to let Archos release a few versions before we start chasing them. ;-)

As you say, it is a completely new hardware platform, so much of our drivers would have to be rewritten. Then again, Rockbox contains much code that would be useful on the Multimedia so it's hard to say if a new project is better or if it would fit under the current Rockbox umbrella.

The multimedia uses the same system with loadable firmware files, although the scrambling algorithm seems to be different. Anyone who feels like tinkering can download it from and have a look.