Subject: RE: Re: time to sleep?
From: Sven Karlsson (svenka_at_it.kth.se)
Date: 2002-08-22

Hi again,

>write shall be simple and straight-forward "old school" C.

Well, "register" and "const" has been in the ANSI C standard for years. I
don't have the very first ANSI C standard here but IIRC they have been there
from the start.

I might be a bit too compiler centric as it is part of my daytime job to
design compilers but IMHO everyone should use both of these. They really
helps the compiler a lot and afain IMHO they make the code much more
readable.

> implementation. Cycle-optimising each routine might buy us a few percent,
but it also >makes the code much harder to maintain.

Actually, none of the suggestions I wrote about means doing any hand
optimizations or inline assembly. Just old fashioned common sense
optimizations.

Well, I'm just giving some hints on low-power programming techniques. I used
to work with such systems a few years ago designing full-custom ASICs and
doing lowlevel programming.

Best regards
 Sven