Subject: Re: source of 200 file limit
From: Lucas Gonze (lgonze_at_panix.com)
Date: 2002-08-22

Thanks for the background, and sorry to have missed the original thread in
the archive.

Hm. Thinking...

I've been fooling around with a way of thinking about playlists:
filesystem info is an evil metadata format. Instead, I navigate
completely based on ID3 info, using a console utility to generate
playlists on the fly from tag info.

The easiest fix for my needs is really to do a random segmentation of mp3s
into 400-entry directories, with filenames munged down to a minimum
length. The only catch WRT rockbox would be a need to look at files via
tags instead of filenames.

If I left it all in one directory the way it is now:
16K buffer/ 2000 mp3s == 8 total chars per filename.
8 total - strlen(".mp3") == 4 chars.

ouch!

thanks.

- Lucas