Subject: Re: some VBR files not playing back correctly

Re: some VBR files not playing back correctly

From: Garner Halloran <garner_at_gtf.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:09:48 -0400

I tried to lower the volume and it seems to get rid of some of the
distortion and scratching. Also, having played this song over and over
to try and make it better, I found the distortion was only really bad some
of the time. I swear I tried playing this song 3 times in the past week
and it was really terrible, but now it's not as bad. Sigh. I'll look for
more files that have problems.

Go to http://gtf.org/garner/files and you'll see 2 mp3 files. Both
exhibited the problem. Hopefully you'll have the same experience.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 07:41:12PM +0200, Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:04:10 -0400, Garner Halloran wrote:
> > Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything
> > about this in the archives.
>
> Actually, it hasn't been reported vefore.
>
> > I have some VBR files that sound all staticy or scratchy when
> > played back.
>
> Ok. Does it disappear if you lower the volume or change the sound
> settings (bass/treble/Super Bass/loudness)?
>
> > They play fine on my PC and with the Archos firmware so I suspect
> > there is something wrong with the rockbox firmware.
>
> Probably.
>
> > I have an Archos Recorder 20. It came with the 1.26 firmware and
>
> OK. Same as mine then.
>
> > Also, I encoded the file with LAME if that makes any difference.
> > I've got probably 8gig worth of files that I've ripped myself and
> > encoded with LAME and most of the them work. If someone wants the
> > mp3 in question, just let me know where to upload it!
>
> I'd like to have it. If you can put them on a public FTP/HTTP server
> it would be great. If you can't, send the smallest one you have to me
> privately.
>
> /Linus
>
> --
> Linus Nielsen Feltzing, linus_at_haxx.se on 2002-08-22

Garner Halloran
   "We demand guaranteed rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
       - Vroomfondel from _The Original Hitchhiker Radio Scripts_