Subject: I/O error on open()

I/O error on open()

From: Heikki Hannikainen <hessu_at_hes.iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:56:02 +0300 (EEST)

  Hi,

  While testing a new useless feature I'm working on, I found that if I
try to open() a file just as the disk is spinning down to sleep (after the
inactivity timeout), open() returns 5 (I/O error), the HD led stays on and
the disk does not spin up.

  This might have something to do with the fact that last night I upgraded
the hard disk of my Recorder 20 to a Toshiba MK4018GAP 40G unit (firmware
differences). Or then, maybe not. Need to try switching between ata SLEEP
and STANDBY.

  - Hessu