Subject: Re: Configurable disk spindown
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-08-27

Uwe Freese wrote:
> But: Not to spin up the disk speeds up dir-browsing ~ 2 sec or so, but
> the drive moves its heads to a "sleep" position when it doesn't read
> something for about a second.
> Moving the heads out of this sleep position before being ready for
> reading (the next dir) takes about 1 second.

I can hear somehing that could be the effect you're describing (an extra noise from the disk), but I don't see the 1s delay you mention. For me it's maybe 100-200ms, i.e. nothing I have even noticed until you mentioned it. Maybe this is disk specific? I have a Toshiba MK4018GAP.

> Is it possible to prevent the disk to move it's heads to the "sleep"
> position?

No. And as George said, we probably wouldn't want to even if we could.

--
Björn