Subject: Re[2]: Configurable disk spindown
From: Uwe Freese (mail_at_uwe-freese.de)
Date: 2002-08-27

Hello Björn,

Björn Stenberg wrote on Tuesday, August 27, 2002, 12:11:28 AM:

BS> I can hear somehing that could be the effect you're describing (an
BS> extra noise from the disk), but I don't see the 1s delay you
BS> mention. For me it's maybe 100-200ms, i.e. nothing I have even
BS> noticed until you mentioned it. Maybe this is disk specific?

I think so. The delay is at least half a second here.

BS> I have a Toshiba MK4018GAP.

I have the standard 20 GB disk (AJB Recorder 20). Don't know what a
model this is.

>> Is it possible to prevent the disk to move it's heads to the "sleep"
>> position?

BS> No. And as George said, we probably wouldn't want to even if we could.

- I don't drop my Archos. I think if I would, some more would be
  damaged. So I think that case is not relevant for me. Or let's say I
  accept the additional risk.
- leaving the heads some more seconds above the "data area" is not
  more riskful as the usual reading from the disk
- it could be configurable (I know, another switch..)

Or is there another reason not to implement my idea?

I would find it better without this little delay when browsing through
dirs or when pressing the "next song" button several times for
searching a song. The second reason is that I think the head movements
(which makes the "click" sound) are so good for the disk if it happens
so often (the same as spinning up/down often).

Bye, Uwe.