Subject: RE: Recording Codecs
From: Florian Mösch (fmoesch_at_web.de)
Date: 2002-08-27

[Peter Koenig]
> Second. Question: When including the recording function in the future
> for the AJBREC, will it be possible to use custom codecs (like LAME)
> or is there a built in codec in the Archos? I use mine when I work
> as a DJ and would like to use custom bitrates and stuff. Maybe it's
> too early for that question?

The Codic is not implemented on the Recorders SH-1 CPU but on a separate
DSP. The Documentation of that DSP says that it is possible to upload a
new firmware into that DSP (implementing another Codec) but the chips
manufacturer told me unmistakeably that they do not offer any kind of
defelopment software to customers. Anyway, the DSP has very little RAM
which can be used for such stuff. (It is just sufficient when running
the ROM supplied codec.) I had the Idea to implement an OggVorbis on the
DSP but I stopped thinking about it. :-( Have a look at the lists
archive. There hase been a discussion about those thoughts.

   Florian.