Subject: Re: Recording Codecs: built in or custom?

Re: Recording Codecs: built in or custom?

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:22:21 +0100

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 09:11, you wrote:
> > I use mine when I work as a DJ and would like to use
> > custom bitrates and stuff.
>
> The builtin encoder is VBR only, max 192kbit/s.

I seem to recall reading on this list (but can't find it again) that there is
a bandwidth limitation in the recorder that means that CD quality
uncompressed recording (i.e. 44.1KHz, 16 bit, stereo = 1.35 Mbit/s) isn't
possible, even if someone wrote the DSP code to do it.

Linus - can you confirm/deny this?

Thanks,

Dave.