Subject: Loadable fonts - what's still needed
From: Daniel Stenberg (
Date: 2002-08-29

Hey, it is time to get the loadable fonts into the code and used for real.
I know several people have played with it and I've just had a session of it
myself. In general this is very cool stuff. Loading your own font is major

However, the code have several non-serious weaknesses I'd like to see

1. The .ajf file format is totally undocumented. We can't have that.

2. The functions don't have any comments explaining what they do, why
   following the flow is troublesome, especially in combination with 1.

3. The code doesn't use the single-letter width field that seems to be stored
   in the file, and loaded, but somehow lost. Thus, proportional fonts end
   up monospaced on screen. Quite a loss.

I'm really looking forward to getting loadable fonts in my box.

Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg --