Subject: Re: MP3 Licensing change
From: Dave Chapman (dave_at_dchapman.com)
Date: 2002-08-29

On Wednesday 28 August 2002 23:10, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Leif Sawyer wrote:
> > With the recent reversal of licensing for MP3 decoders, what
> > is the impact on RockBox?
>
> Nothing. We don't distribute an mp3 decoder nor encoder. All mp3 work is
> handled by the Micronas chips, for which Micronas is paying the licenses.

Rockbox does parse the mpeg audio headers to get information about the file -
but I don't think this counts as "decoding".

However, a while ago, I incorporated libmad (a software mp3 decoder library)
into the X11 version of the uisimulator. Up until yesterday I was
considering re-implementing mpeg playback in the simulators - but I guess
this would now involve patent fees.

Should we be paranoid and remove libmad from the Rockbox source?

Dave.