Subject: Loadable fonts - what's still needed (fwd)
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-09-02

Hey

People ask for the loadable font support at times, and why we don't already
have this enabled by default.

I personally don't like to enable this due to the flaws I've already
mentioned and I therefore repeat them here again. (Don't get me wrong, I
*love* loadable fonts.)

Please feel free to join in here and help out to fix these details so that we
can get loadable fonts supported by default soon.

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:20:56 +0200 (MET DST) From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> To: Rockbox <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se> Subject: Loadable fonts - what's still needed

Hey, it is time to get the loadable fonts into the code and used for real. I know several people have played with it and I've just had a session of it myself. In general this is very cool stuff. Loading your own font is major coolness.

However, the code have several non-serious weaknesses I'd like to see corrected:

1. The .ajf file format is totally undocumented. We can't have that.

2. The functions don't have any comments explaining what they do, why following the flow is troublesome, especially in combination with 1.

3. The code doesn't use the single-letter width field that seems to be stored in the file, and loaded, but somehow lost. Thus, proportional fonts end up monospaced on screen. Quite a loss.

I'm really looking forward to getting loadable fonts in my box.

-- Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/