Subject: Re: multi-language rockbox version

Re: multi-language rockbox version

From: JOSE MARIA GARCIA VALDECASAS BERNAL <jmgvb_at_fedro.ugr.es>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:39:24 +0200 (MET DST)

I'll try to explain myself, but if anything is not clear enough please let me
know, because my english is is a bit poor.

I believe there are multiple ways of choosing the language, but i thought that
using macros instead of text strings could be a good idea. I mean, using the
configure script we can define some macros that will let us choose some code
files that are just for the recorder or the player. The same way, i have changed
all text strings at the code into macros, and have defined this macros in a
header file for each language. We can use the same method used to choose "the
recorder files" to enable one language. So when pre-processor reads the source
code, it will change the macros to its value (a string). This way we won't have
to define a lot of new variables, and keep the firmware as small as possible. Of
course this method has a *gib* problem, we can't change language once compiled,
but we can use ROLO to change our firmware language, just by compiling the code
as many times as languages we want.

Changing each string (just those that need to be translated) in the code is a
really *boring* work, but once you've done it, you can add all languages, just
by writing a new header file and changing the english text with the translated
text, and including the option at the language selection conditional.

I don't know if it's all clear enough, so please aske me whatever i have
expressed incorrectly.

Jose.