Subject: Re: OggVorbis for CPUs without FPU
From: Heikki Hannikainen (hessu_at_hes.iki.fi)
Date: 2002-09-04

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Benoit Midy wrote:

> COuld some of our SH1 guru give us some comment about the possibility to write some
> code to use the uProcessor to decode the OGG VORBIS file :
> - limitations
> - problems

  - Even if we got SH-1 to decode it (it's not fast enough), we could not
_play_ it since we can't playback uncompressed raw audio data either: we
_have_ to feed an mp3 stream to the MAS dsp/codec chip since that is all
it knows about.

  - And since we cannot program the MAS, we cannot get it to eat uncompressed
audio.

  - And even if we could, the speed of the serial link used to transfer
the data from the SH-1 CPU to the DSP/codec is not sufficient to transfer
uncompressed CD-quality audio (it needs to be compressed to fit).

  - Hessu