Subject: RE: search a string
From: John Wood (
Date: 2002-09-06

>> If I understand correctly, that was what François was trying at first.
But it was too slow. <<

I wrote a prototype that searches the current playlist for a string -- a
playlist of 2000 songs. It took about 3 seconds on the recorder, is that
really too slow?

It did load most of the playlist in mind you -- used malloc (which is why I
haven't submitted it, I needed to change it to use static mem which would be
slower and generally a waste of space if you ask me... using static memory
for everything is a bad idea if you ask me, put me off developing for

My prototype had 2 options -- one for doing a scan of the whole hard disk
(which would take about 10 seconds and would thrash the disk), and another
that scanned the playlist. Having a third option to use an index file would
be even better. But I think you should give all options in case the index
file isn't up to date.

This message is intended only for the stated addressee(s)
and may be confidential. Access to this email by anyone
else is unauthorised. Any opinions expressed in this email
do not necessarily reflect the opinions of royalblue.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination,
either whole or in part is prohibited,. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please notify
the sender immediately.