Subject: RE: search a string
From: John Wood (John.Wood_at_royalblue.com)
Date: 2002-09-06

>> Really? And when you want to do a search when the music is playing, you
might have to wait 4-5 seconds to do the search, since the mpeg thread may
be using all dynamic memory? I think not. <<

With about 17k a second for MP3 data, that's about 80 search results. You
probably need a fraction of that, so the wait will be well under a second.
And that would be the WORST case scenario, how often will you search at the
exactly the time when the decoder was reading at the very end of the buffer?

You could turn that argument around and say that, if you're only losing a
second of MP3 buffer by having it static then it's not worth making it
dynamic. True, but I think there are other uses of dynamic memory also.
Games for example, folder listing, playlist data. They could all be dynamic.

You would have occasional pauses to allocate the memory, but the result
would be a very efficient use of memory.

This message is intended only for the stated addressee(s)
and may be confidential. Access to this email by anyone
else is unauthorised. Any opinions expressed in this email
do not necessarily reflect the opinions of royalblue.
Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination,
either whole or in part is prohibited,. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please notify
the sender immediately.