Subject: sh-elf-objcopy creates _large_ archos.bin output

sh-elf-objcopy creates _large_ archos.bin output

From: Matthias Wächter <matthias_at_waechter.wiz.at>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:25:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hi folks!

After successfully inserting and formating my new hard disk I immediately
tried Rockbox _for_the_first_time_. Remember your first time with Rockbox
(at least, remember your first time with Rockbox 1.3) and imagine what
great feeling it is to have now a firmware deserving this
classification... Finally: no unmotivated skips! Clever scrolling! Battery
level meter! Usefull settings! On-going development! Open Source!

Second action right after awaking was to install the sh cross compiler. I
first installed it on my linux computer. I downloaded the current versions
binutils-2.13 and gcc-3.2 (shouldn't I?) and compiled them both as noted
in the Rockbox docs. All worked fine. Then came my first attempt to
compile Rockbox.

In short: after 'make' created a rather small archos.elf file (about 88
kB) sh-elf-objcopy converts it into an amazingly large archos.bin of 151
MB (!) - of course that's too much for the scrambler.

Is there any known incompatibility with latest gcc and binutils? (Then
maybe we should note this in the docs explicitly)

I tried the cygwin-compiled sh-elf-objcopy from my XP machine but the
behaviour is the same. Or may there be something messy with the ELF file
itself irritating sh-elf-objcopy?

As an intermediate solution I will continue by downloading the noted
binutils and gcc version, hope that helps.

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
                    "To get control over people, make them trust you.
                                            To make people trust you