Subject: Re: ATA - USE_POWEROFF vs USE_SLEEP
From: Andrew Jamieson (ajamiesn_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: 2002-09-10

Ahhh .. so you're actually talking about _cutting_ the power to the HDD,
with a FET switch or such like, yes? Hmmm ... can't see anything like that
on the schematics (at a cursory examination, looking at Acrobate with my
head on its side :) - a signal on the VBatt line maybe? I'm not as clued up
on the smaller IDE interface as perhaps I could be. But it's not a command
to the HDD that parks the head and cuts the power internally? I thought it
was the latter.

If you can confirm that it is a logic signal that does the power_off, not a
register setting, then I will hunt for such a beast on my player (new).