Subject: RE: Rockbox for the player
From: Lee Marlow (
Date: 2002-09-12

Since we know the seed used to shuffle, can we somehow
backtrack through the shuffle process and find out
what the original index was without storing all of the
original indices?

Basically have a function like this:
int playlist_original_index(int seed, int

I think we would need to find the inverse of the seed
used. I don't remember much from my number theory
class and don't know much about the Mersenne twister
we use, so I can't "show you the code" just yet.
(Sorry, Linus :)