Subject: Re: Fonts status 11:28 GMT, september 13, 2002
From: Greg Haerr (greg_at_censoft.com)
Date: 2002-09-13

: o The loadfont seems to crash on target at times, I09:CPUAdrEr at 09010394
: was reported. And when it doesn't crash, the font comes up garbled.

Not good. Since the compiled-in fonts appear to work fine,
we need to debug this using system.fnt = X5x9, which should
be the same bits as the compiled-in font. (I don't have
target debug capabililty, a good quick check here would be to
binary compare the MWCFONT structure in sysfonts[0] (compiled-in)
with sysfonts[1] (loaded) for the same font.

:
: o The 'bdf2fnt' doesn't handle font names that start with a digit(!!!)

Yes, this is because it tries to create C variables that are prefixed
with the font name, which starts with a digit... I'll fix it.

:
: o The bdf2fnt barfs out on multiple fonts, one example being the pixelette
: here: http://rockbox.haxx.se/fonts/test/pixelette.bdf

This .bdf font doesn't have a DEFAULT_CHAR in it, since
it seems to have been converted with ttf2bdf (there must
not be a default character in TT fonts). Since the font
has holes in it's range, bdf2c doesn't know which character
to allocate to unused positions in the encoding array. I'll fix it
to use the first glyph in these cases.

:
: o I ran the helvR08.bdf font (http://rockbox.haxx.se/fonts/) through the
: converter with only 255 letters and it came out fine. I just think that it
: seems to make the letters too heigh. I would assume I could get at least 8
: lines of text, but now I get 6.

Yes, helvR08 is 10 pixels high.

Am I just stupid, or does anyone have a 8
: pixels high prop font to try out?

I can't seem to find one either!!

Regards,

Greg