Subject: font format
From: Greg Haerr (greg_at_censoft.com)
Date: 2002-09-13

I forgot to mention the major benefit of the current
(and X11 standard) font bitmap format:

Regular users can easily create/edit their own fonts, merely
by putting *'s and spaces in the order they want, and then
copying those directly into 1 and 0 bits in a hex number.
This can be hand-written into the .c format, which is then
useable for either compiled-in fonts, or loadable fonts.
(the bits are also compatible with .bdf format, if you wanted
to wrap the bitmaps with bdf headers and use X11 for display/testing)

I think this will turn out to be quite useful as folks want to create
symbols that match their specific font height like mp3 song
designators, and other items in the rockbox ui that can vary based
on font.

FWIW,

Regards,

Greg