Subject: Battery life and hdd power off

Battery life and hdd power off

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:13:11 +0100

I have done some testing of my poweroff code now.

The results aren't as good as before, the good news is that current versions
of RockBox have come a very long way in the power conservation department -
well done everyone.

My tests are still on-going. This is all on my ajr20 (with a 40G toshi hdd)
playing 128kbps playlist of about 500 songs

Rockbox daily build 20020910 ran for 12h45m
Rockbox daily build 20020910 modified to use poweroff after 3 seconds of
standby ran for 13h30m

If my calculations are correct, this result confirms Bjorns measurements of
a 10mA difference between sleep and poweroff.

This result is kind of disapointing, and is nowhere near the power saving
that was seen in my earlier tests.

I plan to do a test with poweroff after no delay, as this is what I tested
before and saw the huge gain in battery life - just for peace of mind really
though because I don't think it is a practial solution.

And I want to test the stock firmaware too.

This process will take some time as it takes 1 day to do 1 test.

I'll post my findings and maybe a patch after I have finished all these
tests.

Stu.