Rockbox mail archive
Subject: Re: .lang files / I'm out
From: Florian Mösch (fmoesch_at_web.de)
> Um, the answer was actually a list of clear technical problems with
> using GNU gettext. The problems were real, and you (or anyone else)
> couldn't offer an easy solution to the problems.
There was a little misunderstanding: I never wanted to port the gettext
library to the SH processor. *That* would probably be a problem. Right.
My suggestion was to reuse the .po file format for the .lang files.
There are tools to generate those files from te sources automagically
and other tools that help the translators. I think that *this* is not a
proble but a good idea, because in .po files all the information is
included that Daniel wants to include in his proprietary format. The
only difference is that things are called different.
> No-one even tried to do so.
> It was well demonstrated that gettext isn't a good solution for this
> platform, [...]
Not really. You are right if you say that the gettext *library* is not a
good solution for the SH firmware. But you are wrong if you state that
writing (gettext's .po file format)
msgstr "Laddar in..."
instead of (Daniels proprietary format)
new: "Laddar in..."
is a problem. I you were interested in re-thinking of the gettext
*format*, we should meet in IRC. If you dont *want* to think about my
approch let us just stop this annoying discussion.
I wrote on 2002-09-03:
"No. I don't want to port the whole GNU libc to RockBox :-)"
and later that day in another mail:
"You are right. The GNU gettext library is not made for a SH-1 CPU.
But the message catalog files' format [...]"
and on the next day:
"Again: I didn't think of implementing the gettext library on SH-1,
but using the gettext format (.po files) for the translations."
> [...] and the other idea was better, for now.
I still don't understand why it should be better just because its calls
Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew