Subject: Re: .lang files / I'm out
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-09-16

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Florian Mösch wrote:

> My suggestion was to reuse the .po file format for the .lang files.

Yes, and as I then told you, it does not contain the information we need.

The .po files are designed to fit the gettext() functionality. Which is to
search for strings, not direct-matching on an ID.

The .po format has no ID. Alas, for it to be useful we need to search
strings, or we need to extend the format. Which in itself would be pretty
silly as then we wouldn't be using the format anyway.

> There are tools to generate those files from te sources automagically and
> other tools that help the translators.

We could easily use the same tools and then convert the .po files to our file
format. If anyone feels those tools are that useful.

> I think that *this* is not a proble but a good idea, because in .po files
> all the information is included that Daniel wants to include in his
> proprietary format. The only difference is that things are called
> different.

There is no unique ID that we'll use to refer to the specific strings. That
ID which I (and several others) repeatedly tell you that we need as we don't
want to string-compare to find the proper string.

> I still don't understand why it should be better just because its calls
> things different...

Because it has an ID.

Again, please tell me where I'm wrong. I would be happy to be proven wrong
here.

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/