Subject: Re: .lang files
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-09-16

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Florian Mösch wrote:

> Instead of building a lang.h header file from the lang.txt file using (at
> this point very limited) perl scripts you could also substitute the _("some
> string") occurences in the souces to constants - even to your preferred
> str(SOME_STRING) - automagically.

Yes, but that would not work for run-time selecting/loading the language,
which is something we intend to offer soon.

> I believe that you could archieve the same as in daniels design with the
> same effort

Right, for build-time only choice, that would be a working athough I'd say a
horribly ugly way of reaching the same end result. All that just to maintain
a very simple file format.

Why not just write a conversion script that converts between the formats?
Generate the .po file with all those fancy tools you speak of and then
convert it to .lang.

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/