Subject: Re: .lang files / I'm out

Re: .lang files / I'm out

From: Florian Mösch <fmoesch_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:53:30 +0200

> Can the gettext file format assign an ID to the strings as well?
No.
> Or do we have to add the string ID to a comment field?
Yes.

My idea was to use the gettext style
   _( "Hello World." )
in the sources which results in someting like
   msgid "Hello World"
   msgstr "Hallo Welt"
in the .po file. The use a simple script to translate
   _( "Hello World" )
in the sources to something like
   str( HELLO_WORLD )
in the .c file. It would be nice but not necessary if that step could be
reversed (i.e. automatically convert the constant back into the original
string). Another tiny script would generate the lang.h file containing
   #define HELLO_WORLD "Hallo Welt"
from the .po file.

What do you think about that ?

   Florian

PS: I am a grown-up, an experienced DSP software developer. I don't want
to badger the badger. I just felt that his design could be improved.