Subject: Re: .lang files
From: Robert Hak (
Date: 2002-09-16

Alright... I speak only for me. (Realize that I have generally taken on
the title of project asshole for most discussions)

Deal with it.

"Oh you didn't take my idea" Deal with it.
"I got a blind response" Deal with it.
"But I think my idea is better and he just shot me down" Deal with it
"*big boss* says so" Yup, deal with it.

You can call Bjorn whatever you like in your opinion. What I have seen is
a man willing to discuss other options on a project that _he_ started and
that _he_ is in control of.

Welcome to the Open Source world, and the country called Rockbox. Bjorn
is king high mucky muck.

"You've already got my well-thought objections before" Well post it again.
There my be those of us that have not seen it and would support you.

If you are going to act like a primadona, expect to have the king kick you
in the ass.

This _is_ his project. He shares it with us for the good of the project,
but have no mistake how is in charge.

So deal with it.

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Florian Mösch wrote:

> Ok, we've had some time to discuss and think things over, and now I really
> only want really well-thought objections with motivations why this language
> file format is bad:

You've already got my well-thought objections before. I told you precisely
why I would prefer using a standard format with exactly the same benefits
as your proprietary approch. I won't repeat it again.

> A single file for each language. Plain text.

Exactly what I was thinking of...

> Example:
> [...]
> o id would be the ID to use in the source when this string is wanted. The
> code should use str(id) to get the particular string.

gettext sources usually use something like
   #include "gettext.h"
   #define _( x ) gettext( x )
and in the sources something like
   printf( _("Hello World.\n") );
which is (I think so) very readable and very compact.
I like it more than
   printf( str(HELLO_WORLD) );
but this is only my opinion...

> o desc would be a volountary/optional description of the phrase

... which I think is not necessary if you use "speaking" IDs or use the
original string as ID and include a reference to the sources as a
comment in the language file. The reference to the source should not be
optional but mandatory.

> [...]
> The order of these keywords are important. They should only come in the order
> as stated above (to make writing scripts for this easier).

I really don't want to restart tis discussion .....

> I'll soon bring on my initial scripts and language files that follow this
> format.

.... as *big boss* (TM) seems to have made his decision. Sorry for my
complaints. But I'm still wondering why he sends "requests for comments"
if he doesn't like critics.

                    Robert E. Hak

       Rockbox: The Archos Firmware Replacement!

"Are you always so positive about everything?"
"Consider the alternative."
        Steve Prefontain - "Without Limits"