Subject: Re: [UPDATE] Re: nice proportional font

Re: [UPDATE] Re: nice proportional font

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:12:13 -0600

: * now digit '1' has the same width as the other digits

: * now full iso-latin-1 (some accent characters are still ugly)

 : * fixed character descriptions

This font is much nicer than the X11-5x8 that I initially included
in the loadable fonts modifications. We could easily replace
the existing firmware/X5x8.c with it.
Here's a couple of comments if Daniel/Bjorn decide to
go that way:

1. If the base font is not fixed-width, there's no easy way
for the system to display fixed-width columns of stuff
easily, if we ever have to. (I'm not sure this is that big
a deal...) The best of all worlds would be to use
this font as the default system loadable font,
and to get a single-line width per character font,
fixed-pitch, for the compiled-in system font.

2. The base font should be commited as firmware/sysfixed.bdf
and firmware/sysfixed.c, with (as soon as I contribute
the C-based bdf convertor) an automatic makefile-driven
conversion from .bdf to .c with each build.
This way it's easy to substitute a different font as the
system default without re-doing all the makefiles, etc.

Have you seen any single-line width fonts we could use
as a fixed-width base font?

Regards,

Greg