Subject: Re: [UPDATE] Re: nice proportional font

Re: [UPDATE] Re: nice proportional font

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:43:04 -0600

:As long as I can override the default font without manual intervention
nor recompiling (e.g. using /.rockbox/default.fnt), I won't start a
discussion about which font to use as the hardcoded default font.

The current design doesn't have the notion of "default"
font. Instead, two fonts are available: FONT_SYSFIXED
and FONT_UI. At compile-time, there's a compiled-in
(currently ugly, soon-to-be-changed) fixed-width
font (firmware/X5x8.bdf) which is used to display
the version number at startup logo time and panics.

After startup, the system uses the FONT_UI, which is
mapped to a loadable font, /system.fnt. If this font
is not found, then the text output reverts to the compiled-in
font.

I had plans for a third font to be used, FONT_MP3,
which would be used in the WPS display. (everything
is selectable by programmers using lcd_setfont(FONT_xxx);
If a font is not found, it reverts to the next lower font #,
eventually down to the compiled-in font.

So I wasn't sure whether you are talking about the
compiled-in font default, or the loaded UI font.

Regards,

Greg