Subject: Re: .lang files
From: Paul Suade (paul.suade_at_laposte.net)
Date: 2002-09-18

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nielsen Linus (ext)" <Linus.Nielsen_at_elema.siemens.se>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 1:31 PM

> > > Personally, I would prefer to have a string which could be
> > > automagically translated in a ID, but such a thing demands
> > > some tools to do so.
>
> Why is it important to autogenerate the ID's?

say, you write in your source : _lang_("Hello World\n"), which is quite more
readable than a macro.

Before really compiling the source, you preprocess it with a special tool
will transform it in a ID in a temporary source like :
_msgstr_(MSGID__HELLO___WORLD_092_N).

You have the best : a precompile-time readable and modifiable string and a
postcompile-time id so your runtime translation is more efficient.

Another possibility : you have a .lang file which give us the tuple
(id,eng,new), so your tool can be able to process any "_lang_(<eng>)" in
_msgstr_(<id>) or something alike, where _msgstr_(<msgid>) should return
<new>.

> > So a "Hello World\n" will become MSGID__HELLO___WORLD_092_N.
> >
> > Identifiers generated this way can be easily converted back to the
> > original string but are still good readable.
>
> Why would we want to convert it back again?
>
> /Linus

honestly I don't care about reversibility : it is only I don't like ID
macros.