Subject: Translators, start your engines

Translators, start your engines

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:57:33 +0200

Now the new language handling code is applied, and we're ready to accept translations from anyone who wants to write one.

To translate, simply copy the apps/lang/english.lang file and start filling in the "new:" lines.

Name your file <language>.lang, where <language> is the local name for your language. I.e svenska.lang, francais.lang etc.

When you are done, submit your .lang file to this list for peer review.

francais.lang and espanol.lang is under way already. Hopefully we'll get many more contributions.

Concerning updates: english.lang is the "master file", and is the file developers add new strings to. To simplify updates, Daniel has written the 'uplang' perl script, which updates <other>.lang files with new strings from english.lang:

# perl tools/uplang english.lang francais.lang > newfrancais.lang

Any entry present in english.lang but not in francais.lang will be added like this:

id: LANG_WORMLET_WORMED
desc: wormlet game
eng: "Wormed"
### Not previously translated
new:

Currently there is no way to select language at build time. We'll add that as the translations start to trickle in.

--
Björn